Monday 15 June 2009

Summer 2001 and on

Holiday on Guernsey. Visited the German Occupation Museum. Outside there was a Sherman tank (!!) , an 88mm and a 75mm A/T gun. Took some piccies. Apparently the Sherman tank isn't really one at all. It was "loaned" 12 years ago and the museum are still trying to get rid of it. Its actually a BARV (Beach Armoured Recovery Vehicle), which is quite rare, but the distinctive vertical plates around the hole where the turret would normally be have been removed (although you can still see the weld marks) and a post war "super Sherman" Israeli tank turret has been dropped in. Totally anachronistic - there were never any Shermans in the Channel Islands!

Over the August BH weekend I made 32 (!!) squad boxes for 25mm SGII / FMA figures. I think I still need some more boxes for other stuff….

I'm currently trying out "Politics By Other Means" with ACW. I'm not really sure about it...

Played "Raise The Rebel Yell" on same board (2' * 2'6") and with same forces (4 units + 2 artillery) as the PBOM trial, with 4 element units. Worked very well, although I wonder if the game is decisive enough?

Tried "Play Your Cards Right". A neat little game if somewhat lacking in flavour. This is really a 5 min. game.

Played "Panzerfauste" on same board as PYCR. A very enjoyable game with a clear victory for the German section. This one is worth playing again. Produced data cards for each "race" (US and German).

I've now finished the improvements to the pirate ship masts (so they won't fall apart again).

Now playing a game using FWWAATR with my old 1/1200 scale ships. I'm trying out an idea nicked from Hammerin' Iron (ship templates). It worked well

There is a whole issue here in relation to "decisiveness" in wargames. I feel a Nugget article coming on … I've added "more effective flank attacks" to a number of rule sets.

Tried a RWNN wild west game. Fast and furious … too fast and furious. Then had an idea - lifted "Westamunda" off the 'net and hacked it around to improve the style. Added the card sequence mechanism from RWNN - great! Lots of flexibility and shooting is not too lethal. Had to clear away the game before it had finished so's the electrician could fix the lights. Oh well, such is life...

Hmm. You know I think VE could work for a wild west game…

No comments:

Post a Comment