Monday 15 June 2009

Winter 2002

18th Nov 02: I sometimes wonder if this hobby of mine is really wargaming or is it collecting toy soldiers and writing rules? I don't seem to spend much time actually playing games much…. So why am I buying loads of WWII Russians? Terry Wise is slowly selling up all his stuff and I have ordered a bag of 165 Russian Infantry from him.

Over the weekend I continued trying to clear the table so that I can play a game or two(!). Eventually got around to (yeah, I found "a round tuit") finishing the two DBA tented encampments. Made 3 copies of the little round tent from one of the Usborne books (Medieval village, I think). Added to them some piles of baggage and stuff (Peter Pig, possibly) I had previously used as baggage elements for DBR. This little project has only taken well over a year..!?!

Finished painting AK47 dead figures and the first batch of Border Reivers. Some of the reivers were holding their lance across the body. Didn't like this, so cut it off and replaced with a length of unbent paper clip held upright in the figure's right hand. Much better. Of course, they all need basing now...

I plan to use HOTT for the Border Reivers, but possibly also for War of the Worlds. There may be other possibilities, we'll see. Colonial perhaps? Hmm, HOTT will always allow the "slightly fantastical" or "movie style" approach - that might be fun... Zulus with some dinosaurs (behemoths) for a sort of "Lost World" scenario?

I am making a War of the Worlds style Martian army with tripod walkers. Each walker is made from the bowls of two plastic spoons with legs cut from barbecue skewers. Their HOTT stronghold will be a crashed missile pod made from an empty loo roll. Must be the cheapest army ever!

When I get together enough cash, I want to buy the ACW game "Battle Cry". Very good reviews on the 'Net. Short games and some subtlety with the rules system. Bit pricey at £40 but I don't often buy this sort of game.

Got the bag of Russians from Terry Wise. No machine guns, oh well...

Well, saved up the money and bought "Battle Cry". Really nice game and David likes playing it too. Have written a review for the Nugget.

No comments:

Post a Comment